On Friday I posted a “What’s in my bags?” video because for the month of April I’m getting #backtobasics. To be honest, when I was first thinking about all of this back in March all I knew for sure was that I wasn’t really using my journals or planner(s). And if I’m not journalling then there is something seriously wrong. One of the things that has really worked for me in the past is #onebookjuly. I remember the first time I heard Rhomany of Rhomany’s Realm talk about #onebookjuly–getting back to the basics of planning. If the system you’re using for planning isn’t working it doesn’t matter what notebook you use… And since then I’ve been working on my actual planning system.
I’d tell you about how I’m going to work on getting back to the basics in April, #backtobasicsapril. A few years ago, I participated, along with a lot of other journalers and planners, in #onebookjuly with Rhomany’s Realm, Carie Harling, and MissVickybee. Since then I’ve participated every year since. This year I can’t wait for July, and there are so many other things in my life that I need to get back to the basics with I knew I needed to do something. Here is the link to the playlist for #onebookjuly.
I mentioned my dilemma in a previous coffee chat, as well as a different video on my YT channel. Many others said they were feeling the same way. Many asked if we could do #onebookjuly early. I don’t see why we couldn’t, but I need to do more than get back to the basics with my journaling and planning, I need to purge, clean, and organize my supplies, my house, my life…especially with Camp NaNoWriMo starting April 1st.
In the spirit of Rhomany, Carie, and Vicky’s #onebookjuly theme, which is getting back to the basics of planning, we thought we’d call our mission for April #backtobasicsapril. Some of us will be getting back to the basics with their budgets, or with their meal planning, their craft/journal/planner supplies, their homes, their planners, journals, or some of those or maybe all of those, as well as a few other things most likely. I am going to start the purging, cleaning, and organizing of my desk this week because I will (hopefully) be getting my new computer built this coming weekend, but everything else starts on April 1st. 😀 Continue reading
With the New Year fast approaching I’ve been doing quite a bit of reflection. This year was a good one. I accomplished quite a few things I would not have thought I’d have done, things like team up with three other women and open a group called Destination Me: Adventures at the Round Table for women: “Destination Me is about all of US. Women. It’s about inspiring and challenging ourselves and others to be creative, to share our thoughts and ideas, our advice with others. It’s about challenging all women, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc to take care of themselves, to nurture themselves, to be creative and to share their thoughts, feelings, ideas, advice, and more. Destination Me provides women with fun, safe place to be creative and to share their creative pursuits, as well as creative ways to bring back or to bring a sense of purpose and vitality that we may have lost or just misplaced due to various circumstances, or that we find we need, along our journey.
This group is all about diversity, acceptance, tolerance, creativity, self-love, self-acceptance, self-care, as well as inspiration. We welcome all women.”
I didn’t stop there. As part of DM (Destination Me), and here on this blog, I created a Dark Tower (and connected books, by Stephen King) reading project. I also opened my own Facebook group about omni journaling: Omni Journaling with Burgess. I joined Patreon.
I tried two new journals for my Omni Journal when the SevenSeas Crossfield by Nanamipaper wasn’t available… The new one’s are by Taroko Design, and are the Enigma and the Mystique (the link for this is the comparison I did, and here is the video I did comparing them.
And another highlight of the year… I became a Brand Ambassador for Jonelifish. I’ve been talking about my Writer’s Bible, and my other Jonelifish Traveler’s Notebooks for almost 2 years now. 😀 I love, love, love Jonel and Jonelifish.
I cover some of this in the video I’m going to link below, but my goals for 2017, which I’m still working on, are:
- Blog every day
- Write every day
- Create art every day
- Thrive… (my word for 2017)
- Continue purging and organizing things in the house
- DIY projects (flooring, clean carpet, paint master bedroom and paint mural, etc)
- 2K subscribers on YT
- Increase my presence on IG, Pinterest, Twitter
- Pay bills off, save money and purchase new Canon camera for creating videos and photos
- Upgrade computer
- Learn how to better use CyberLink Power Director
- Seek Joy, Spread Joy, Pay it Forward
If we were having coffee… I’d tell you that this month feels so much more positive than the past two months. That’s in part thanks to my wonderful husband, Mr. Rockstar (David), my family, and my friends (my tribe). Not only have I managed to feel more confident, positive, and grateful, but I’ve also realized I’d let my attitude become one of “what’s going to go wrong next,” of looking at the glass half empty–of negativity.
I can’t help but think that the negative feelings were contributing to things going wrong, breaking… I decided that I wasn’t going to allow the negativity from the past couple of months to spread into December. Nope, not happening. So I started the month out with a positive attitude. I changed a few things up. Started planning out my Spirit(ual) Omni Journal, worked on December’s layout and set up in my (regular) Omni Journal… and I set up things for December in my 2017 Hobonichi (which is for my personal, business, and Patreon planning/use). I wanted positive reinforcement. Needed it. And the best way to do that is to start out with an affirmation, a way to hold myself accountable (got on FB, YT, etc) and stated… No more negativity, it’s a whole new month, a new beginning… I’m going to be positive…I’m going to get things done, going to be happy, and I’m so grateful for the good things that did happen over the past few months… it wasn’t all negative.
Changing my attitude, talking about how it was a whole new month, a new beginning spread… other’s did the same… Happiness, positivity, kindness… those are contagious.
SO let’s talk about what I’ve got going on, what I’m planning (not only for December, but for 2017), and some of my goals. (This is going to be a 2 part post (and video), maybe even a 3 part. 😀
What I accomplished in 2016 so far:
- With the help of 3 wonderful women, I opened a FB group for women called Destination Me: Adventures at the Round Table. A place where we are safe to talk about and share things like our creative projects, our goals, our ideas and thoughts about creativity, spirituality, and life. A way to hold ourselves accountable. The four of us (Debbie, Jen, Karen, and myself) all contribute to the DM group… we are similar enough, but different enough, that we each contribute something to the group, and those wonderful women in the group also contribute. It’s become our home away from home. A safe haven to share and converse.
- With the support and encouragement of several people, I finished NaNoWriMo.
- With the support and encouragement from several women in my tribe, I opened up a FB group called Omni Journaling with Burgess.
- With the support and encouragement of several people, I joined Patreon and now have several Patrons.
- I reached 1000 subscribers on YouTube…
- I was the beneficiary of several happy mail items… Y’all… that was so wonderful. 😀 And much needed and appreciated.
- And, I renewed the Hosting for this website and have been blogging much more… I still need to work on blogging more often…
- Last but not least, I checked several things off my “bucket list” this year.
Goals for 2017:
- 2000 subscribers on YT
- To blog every day, at the least every other day.
- To grow my Patreon page
- To make enough of a passive income that I am supporting my creative life myself (supplies like notebooks, pens, camera, lighting, watercolors, washi tape, etc.; Website Hosting, increasing the internet speed so I don’t have “weak connection” anymore, books, tarot cards, a tablet selfie stick, etc…).
- To make enough income from my creative life that I do not have to work outside the home.
- To clean and organize the attic, my craft and art supplies, and the kitchen cabinets.
- To paint our bedroom wall and draw/paint a mural on the wall.
- To follow my path spiritually… to learn and grow spiritually.
- To finish the Witchy Business Novel and the Broken novel, and to have at least the first round of edits done.
- To write every day, at least 500-1000 words per day.
- To draw/paint every day.
- To be more organized and have more focus.
- To practice kindness, positivity, and courage on a daily basis.
- To have a regular schedule: bed by midnight, up by 8AM.
- To be healthier (which includes 10+K steps per day, eat healthier, etc)
My list goes on…
And I’ve started implementing things this month to help me accomplish things in the new year. I’ve created a Spirit Omni Journal, which is a Stalogy 365 A5 Notebook. I’ve started setting up my new Omni Journal for next year, which is an Enigma from Taroko Design.
Here is the video where I talk about this: